Submitted by melanie on
In 2019 Bird Industrial established the Scott Ferguson Memorial Scholarship in the memory of our colleague and friend Scott Ferguson. This scholarship, inspired by Scott Ferguson, who diligently and passionately devoted his career to improving the Indigenous communities in which he lived and worked. A graduate of the University of Alberta, he demonstrated strong leadership qualities and an ability to connect with Indigenous communities throughout Canada.
The intent of the Scott Ferguson memorial Scholarship is to provide financial support to Indigenous students that are pursuing post-secondary education to further their career development and growth. This award is based on leadership qualities, community involvement and financial need.
Scholarship applications will be accepted from Indigenous applicants who are currently enrolled in a full-time post-secondary institution or Indigenous students completing Grade 12 by June 30th of the calendar year, and who are registered to attend a full-time post-secondary education institution.
The following criteria will be considered with respect to the Scott Ferguson Memorial Scholarship:
• Applicants must be of Indigenous (First Nations, Inuit or Metis) descent;
• Applicants must provide a written (essay format) account of their community involvement, leadership, any extra-curricular activities and financial need. With a focus on demonstrating their passion for the Indigenous community they live in;
• Applicants must provide (2) character references in form of letters of recommendation;
• Applicants must be accepted / enrolled into a recognized post-secondary institution as a full-time student;
• Applicants must be in good academic standing and provide a copy of their most recent post secondary and / or Grade 12 transcript; and
• Applicants must agree to a personal interview with one or more of the selection committee upon completion of the application.
Please note: If no applications are received before the June 30th of the award year, then the funding allocated for that year will be forfeited.
• A general application form and essay to be submitted by June 30th of the calendar year
• One application per person is permitted per calendar year.
• Deadline for applications is June 30th, 2020. Applications received after this date will not be considered.
• Incomplete applications will not be considered.
• All applicants will be notified of the receipt of their application by email by July 15, 2020
• Announcement of Scholarship Recipients is July 31st.
• During selection, there may be open dialogue and engagement with the training and education departments in the various Indigenous communities of applicants.
• A selection committee comprising of Bird employees will score and select successful applicants.
Please email completed submission to Rebecca Kragnes
ATTN: Scott Ferguson Memorial Scholarship
Here's the link to the 2020 Scott Ferguson Memorial Scholarship Application form