This scholarship honours the legacy of the late Hon. James W. Bourque, PC. Born in Wandering River, Alberta, Bourque was of Cree and Métis background. At the age of 18 he was elected president of an association of hunters and trappers in Fort Chipewyan before working as a park warden in Wood Buffalo National Park from 1955 to 1963. He served as president of the Métis Association of the Northwest Territories from 1980 to 1982, was deputy minister of renewable resources for the government of the Northwest Territories from 1982 to 1991 and chairman of the Northwest Territories' Commission for Constitutional Development.
In 1984 he founded the Fur Institute of Canada, serving as its chairman for four years. He was named co-director of policy for the Royal Commission on Aboriginal People in 1994. On July 1, 1992 he was sworn into the Queen's Privy Council for Canada.
To be eligible you must be:
- Enrolled in post-secondary training in Education, Environmental Studies, Traditional Knowledge or Telecommunications; and
- a Canadian Aboriginal student.
- Cover letter (please include an email address where we can contact you);
- a description of your intended program of study and the reasons you chose the program, in 500 words or less;
- official transcripts (most recent from college/university or high school);
- a signed letter of recommendation from a community leader (e.g., Town or Band Council, Chamber of Commerce, Métis Local, etc.);
- a statement of financial need which indicates funding already received or expected;
- proof of enrollment in, or application to, a post-secondary institution; and
- proof of Canadian Aboriginal descent.
The scholarship Committee looks for:
- Financial need;
- relevance of study to the scholarship;
- applicants achievements;
- return on investment; and
- overall presentation of the application
Value of Scholarship: $1000
Number of Scholarships awarded: 1 annually
Deadline to apply: Postmarked July 15, 2017
Please send applications or questions to:
By post: By Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Arctic Institute of North America
Attn: Jim Bourque Scholarship
University of Calgary * All parts of the application,
2500 University Drive N.W., ES-1040 except official transcripts,
Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 1N4 may be submitted electronically.